Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

They Don't Have to Be Roasted

Some time ago we all decided that you simply MUST roast your Brussels sprouts (Sacha, I totally checked, capitalize the B, no apostrophe). Maybe it's a fear of the bitter, slimy gross mini-cabbages of our youth... maybe it's a shameless love of caramelizing (a love I certainly embrace). But there comes a time in every cook's life when you look in the fridge and see a carton of Brussels sprouts and not much else and wonder what the hell you're going to do with them. And you want to do something new. And that's what inspired this recipe.

Ingredients
- one container Brussels sprouts
- 2 table spoons of unsalted butter
- half of one very large lemon, cut into several large chunks
- olive oil
- salt
- 5 anchovy filets & capers, chopped up (optional, but preferred)... but if ya don't use anchovies, please throw in a few capers anyway
- mushrooms (I used shitakes I found on sale, but you don't have to)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions chopped

Wash the Brussels, chop off the bottoms and cut them in half. I was lazy last night. Probably I ought to have sliced them into many leaves. But you don't have to. Begin by sauteeing the Brussels in a skillet with the garlic, butter, olive oil, scallions and lemons on medium-high heat. The Brussels will turn bright green, and you will gaze upon their beauty. Sprinkle a LITTLE salt on them too. Good. After they get a bit soft, throw in the mushrooms and anchovies and/or capers and turn the heat down to lowish.

Cook mushrooms through, and you are done. You can also throw in a splash of water, or, better, UNSALTED stock when you put in the mushrooms to create a kind of sauce and put this all over pasta (that's what I did). Enjoy!

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that I highly recommend seasoning the Brussels with a fair amount of chili flakes before serving. And definitely some Parmesan if you're going to serve over pasta.

Nina-the-cat says "I hated it!"

2 comments:

  1. My mom always just boiled them. I don't recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like them boiled but not overcooked then thrown in some garlic butter, my mom's housekeeper makes them this way and I love them, but mine never turn out as good as hers....this sounds delish btw...

    ReplyDelete